Sunday, March 01, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

We may just be the last people I know to go see this movie, but we went for Kurt's birthday tonight.

I was completely blown away. The story was fantastic, the acting superb, the content was just astounding.

I left the theater embarrassed and ashamed. We had just watched a movie about a child from a slum in Bombay... who had NOTHING... and by nothing, I mean NOTHING... and here Kurt and I are whining that we don't get a good picture on our digital converter box for our tv.

I thought of my 2 little boys at home, surrounded by GOBS of toys, full tummies, with no knowledge of loss, death, fear, pain, or destruction... and somewhere in the world, there is a mommy with 2 little boys, perhaps the same age as my kids, and she doesn't know if they will live another week because of lack of food and violence in their culture.

I have no right to complain about anything that I *think* I need. I am completely humbled and ashamed at what my culture has taught me to be.

*sigh*

So, if you haven't seen the movie, go see it. It truly might just change your outlook on the world.

No comments: